|House||Service Hours||Socials||PR/Fundraising Events||K-Fam or LEAD Events||Environment Competition Bonus||Other Points||Total Points|
The House Cup Competition is a Harry Potter-esque way to make Circle K feel smaller. Members are sorted into houses named for philanthropists or projects associated with the University of Michigan, and gain points for community service and club participation. The Houses hold socials (such as pasta dinners, yum) as well as other things such as fun activities at general meetings. Below the leaderboard are the Houses as well as the reasons they were so named.
Cook House is named after William W. Cook, an inspired, and inspirational, donor. Cook's gifts--the four architecturally outstanding buildings that comprise the Law Quadrangle and generous endowments to support legal research--brought national attention to the Law School. The first gift was front and center above the fold of the Sunday, September 21, 1924 New York Times, which called it "one of the finest buildings of its kind in the world." The gifts, worth $20 million in 1930, would be $240 million in 2006. Cook was dedicated to the pursuit of legal research and the attainment of higher education for all.
Jenkins House is named for Phil F. Jenkins, an Ann Arbor-area businessman and philanthropist who gives generously to the University, the U-M Health System, and to numerous organizations across southeast Michigan. In part because of his own family's experiences with depression- Jenkins' late wife of 47 years, Lynn, struggled with the disease for many years-Jenkins has been actively involved in the Depression Center's work since its inception. He has supported a major research fund and a professorship, and he also made a key contribution toward the construction of the building now home to the Depression Center, Jenkins also funded an annual research award at the Depression Center to spur creative advances in the treatment or self-management of depression by empowering students and junior faculty to bring original ideas to life.
This House owes its name to Penny Stamps, 1966 alumna from the school of Art and Design. Stamps and her husband have made substantial and transformative donations to UM's School of A&D, so much so that they are the most charitable benefactors to an artand- design school in all of the United States! Penny Stamps' efforts address an urgent need for universities to be affordable while fostering creativity and global citizenship in college students. The funding further adds to the Stamps' support for programs and facilities on campus, while adding a Stamps Creative Work Scholarships to provide merit scholarships for a significant number of art-and-design students.
Phoenix House gets its name from the Phoenix Project, born in 1957 at the University of Michigan as a living memorial to the 585 alumni, students, faculty, and staff from U of M who lost their lives in World War II. Organized around the Ford Nuclear Reactor, the Phoenix Project was to be the test-bed for all the good things that might come out of nuclear science technology. The idea was to promote understanding of using powerful materials for good. Today, the Project is still breaking ground, developing and testing materials in order to create isotopes for health care and cutting-edge engineering; its aim is to train hundreds of students to use the atom to make peoples ' lives better, and make the world a better place.
- 5 points for every hour of a Circle K function